We believe that talking to a person is one of the best ways of finding out about our service. So in most cases we recommend that you speak to us if there is anything you want to know Tel: 01432 371212
What does Home-Start Herefordshire do?
Home-Start Herefordshire recruits and trains volunteers who are parents themselves or have parenting experience. We are also happy to train college and university students who are keen to volunteer with families to (help themselves) gain extra experience for themselves whilst studying and who are more likely to become mentors to young people. The trained volunteers will then be matched very carefully with a family in need of support and make regular visits to their homes once a week for 2 to 3 hours.
Our volunteers are from all walks of life.
- They provide a listening ear so that parents can talk about their problems and difficulties and explore ways to resolve them.
- They offer practical and sign posting help.
- They to encourage learning and show how important play can be with children.
- They help parents keep appointments.
- They provide an extra pair of hands when visiting somewhere out of the home.
- They act as role models for parents, enabling them to develop their parenting skills.
How does this help?
To have the best start in life and to achieve their full potential, children need a happy and secure childhood and to be part of a stable family unit.
If parents (including guardians and carers) are to provide this they may need help and support to overcome their own problems. Even the most dedicated parents can face difficulties that prevent them doing all they want for their own children.
The Home-Start Herefordshire team supports parents as they grow in confidence, strengthen their relationships with their children and widen their links with the local community.